Sunday, May 2, 2010

When Did I Get Old?

I have been living in denial, and for quite some time. Thursday, my chapter of my sorority turned 60, and last night we had a party. It was at the brand new Ohio Union, which is SUPER beautiful, by the way. There were most of the current actives, and a small spattering (SHOULD have been more) of alumni there.

For me, someone still involved with the active chapter, it was such a good thing to look around the room and see actives sitting amongst alumni, and even actives you would never think "yeah they'll be inseperable." And some faces from the past were fabulous to see, because it has just been too damn long!!! After hearing a wonderful up-to-date presentation from the lovely officer board, we were privileged to hear from Martha Nichols Tykodi, one of the original Buckeye Band Girls and charter member of the Chi Chapter. As with most members of her generation, she had many stories to tell the girls and wonderful words of encouragement, championing more involvement for women, and reminding the girls that there was a time when women were simply not accepted.
We were also graced with a visit from Dr. E. Gordon Gee, President of Ohio State, who has a staff of people that literally follow him around carrying cameras to take pictures. I want that job, and I am NOT kidding.


Following the most interesting ritual I've ever been a part of (the use of candles was not permitted, so the lights were on...), we headed to the Varsity Club (because, naturally, we never go anywhere else). We were there until the lights came on for "last call was a while ago, now get the hell outta here." I at no point felt drunk, though I did have much to drink, and today, I am paying for it. I would like someone to hit me in the head with a sledgehammer, because it couldn't possibly make my head feel worse. So I ask, when did I get old? I didn't sign up for this shit!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment