Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dumpster Divers...

So I've not posted since Legone (he sucks) and this one promises to be quite short....

I've been super busy this week with cleaning/organizing/rearranging the basement. I seem to do it every 7 months or so, when I just get to that point where I can no longer take it, but this time has been severely different. This time, instead of just neatly stacking boxes in new corners, I've been OPENING the boxes, looking at the stuff IN them, and throwing stuff away. It's so much easier than you would think.

One of the first boxes I opened, marked "Holiday Dishes," had 2 coffee mugs and a bunch of newsprint in it. The dishes, you see, were still neatly tucked inside my kitchen cabinets. So since the cabinets have been spewing forth much lately, I finally got my lazy ass up, took the dishes OUT of the cabinet, and packed them back in their box, neatly wrapped in newsprint. This would be an example of "something that is actually used, only seasonally." Much like the 8 or 9 boxes of Christmas decorations I have (yet only 1 box for Easter and Halloween, combined).

Much later in the process, I opened a box marked "bar glasses." To say we're not "drinkers" would be a flat out lie, but to say that we are "drinkers who require bar glasses" is ridiculous. We are lazy, we work smarter, not harder. If it comes in a bottle that has a twist top, we are content to use a koozy, if necessary. So I open said box. 8 margarita glasses: we have never been margarita drinkers (I had an awful encounter at Howl at the Moon with golden tequila margaritas when I was "21") so POOF! They gone. 8 martini glasses: I love love love martinis but....if I'm gonna drink one, chances are I'm at a bar, because who wants to take the time to make them? POOF! See ya. 8 very large, very bulky, very heavy beer mugs...seriously? Why the hell did we register for this stuff? Keep 2, 6 go POOF! You see where this is going. By the end, a "large box" had been reduced to half of a "small box."

The baby stuff (crib, changing table, matress, changing pad, maternity clothes) will be going to bro-in-law-1(it's an age rank, not a favoritism thing, I don't play faves) and wife, as they are due in December (here's hoping it's a girl so they can take the 4 80-gal totes of baby clothes I have...).

Some fun things do occur when going through your junk....you find some CRAZY things! If you have a basement/closet/storage locker full of your junk, I highly advise you to go through it, and for 2 purposes: 1. downsizing, 2. entertainment! With that said, Imma git back to it! Basement remodel day 3!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment